Posted By News On November 14, 2016 - 1:29pm
The combination of augmented reality technology, geocaching, and other novel techniques to create innovative active video games (AVGs) has potential personal and public health implications, as discussed in the Editorial "Pokémon Go, Go, Go, Gone?" published in Games for Health.
Posted By News On November 14, 2016 - 12:59pm
Like African cichlids and the Darwin finches found on the Galapagos Islands, Hawaiian drosophilids are a striking example of a single lineage diversifying by adapting to a wide variety of environments. The Hawaiian drosophilids are broadly divided into two main groups: the Hawaii-endemic genus Idiomyia and the Scaptomyza genus. About 60 percent of Scaptomyza species are unique to the Hawaiian Islands, with the other 40 percent distributed around the world.
Posted By News On November 13, 2016 - 4:24pm
Drinks loaded with added sugars, such as juice, soda, and frappuccinos, are one of the leading sources of empty calories in the diet of both children and adults, and overconsumption of sugar is associated with obesity and an increased risk of heart disease.
In 2012, Howard County, Maryland activists went after sugary sodas, sports drinks, energy drinks, fruit drinks and flavored water/teas. They used:
- Getting such drinks out of student-accessible vending machines and at school-day functions;
Posted By News On November 13, 2016 - 4:20pm
Younger marijuana users were twice as likely as non-users to experience stress cardiomyopathy, a sudden, usually temporary, weakening of the heart muscle that occurs more commonly in older women.If you use marijuana and experience chest pain or shortness of breath, seek medical help to rule out this infrequent but serious condition.
Stress cardiomyopathy is a sudden, usually temporary, weakening of the heart muscle that reduces the heart's ability to pump, leading to chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness and sometimes fainting.
Posted By News On November 13, 2016 - 3:15pm
Long-term exposure to the combination of even modestly lower LDL cholesterol (LDL-C) and systolic blood pressure (SBP) has the potential to "dramatically reduce" a person's lifetime risk of cardiovascular disease, according to new findings reported at ESC Congress 2016.
Posted By News On November 10, 2016 - 2:56pm
The Alps are steadily "growing" by about one to two millimeters per year. Likewise, the formerly glaciated subcontinents of North America and Scandinavia are also undergoing constant upward movement.
Posted By News On November 10, 2016 - 2:43pm
Atmospheric scientists at the Desert Research Institute (DRI) have turned their attention toward the growing e-cigarette industry and found that toxic aldehydes, such as formaldehyde, are formed during the chemical breakdown of the flavored e-liquid during the rapid heating process (pyrolysis) that occurs inside e-cigarettes or electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS).
Posted By News On November 9, 2016 - 3:37pm
The core theme of Donald Trump’s campaign – that the establishment was broken – drove waves of his supporters to the polls.
Surprisingly, this theme didn’t make it into his victory speech. Nor did any reference to the seismic shift in American politics that took place, save for brief mentions that the night was “historic.”
Trump took the stage at 2:50 a.m., spoke for approximately 10 minutes and finished the speech by mingling with supporters as The Rolling Stones’ “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” blared in the background.
Posted By News On November 8, 2016 - 12:59pm
One in six women (17 percent) diagnosed with breast cancer go to their doctor with a symptom other than a lump - the most commonly reported breast cancer symptom - according to data from 2009/10 National Audit of Cancer Diagnosis in Primary Care presented at the 2016 National Cancer Research Institute (NCRI) Cancer conference in Liverpool. There are more than 53,600 breast cancers diagnosed in the UK every year and 11,400 deaths from the disease annually.
Posted By News On November 8, 2016 - 12:29pm
Using a person's spoken or written words, new computer tools can identify with great accuracy whether that person is suicidal, mentally ill but not suicidal, or neither. Machine learning is up to 93 percent accurate in correctly classifying a suicidal person and 85 percent accurate in identifying a person who is suicidal, has a mental illness but is not suicidal, or neither.